macOS Big Sur, elevates Mac to a new level of power and beauty with a refined a new design, major app updates, and more transparency around your privacy. Discover new places to eat, shop, and explore with curated Guides from brands you love. Create Guides for your own favorite places and share them with friends and family.
macOS Big Sur elevates the most advanced desktop operating system in the world to a new level of power and beauty. Experience Mac to the fullest with a refined new design. Enjoy the biggest Safari update ever. Discover new features for Maps and Messages. And get even more transparency around your privacy, the primary version number of the operating system has been incremented for the first time since the release of MacOS X public beta in 2020.
Experience in macOS Big Sur
- Unparalleled power.
- Browse detailed interior layouts of major airports and shopping centers before you even leave home.
- Redesigned Maps.
- Legendary ease of use.
- Limitless creativity.
- macOS Big Sur brings a refined new design that gives you even more of the things you love about Mac, Localized message effects for users in India.
- when upgrading to the beta release from prior versions of macOS using the Software Update mechanism.
Conversation starter in macOS Big Sur
Pin any conversation to keep it at the top of your conversation list. Tapbacks, typing indicators, and recent messages animate above pins. And for quick access to your important conversations, your pins sync across your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Nothing in macOS Big Sur looks wildly different and there’s nothing to relearn, but it does offer up a clean design that’s a refreshing change of pace. Notably, a lot of the sounds in macOS have been refreshed, and Apple even brought back the startup chime that many Mac users have missed.
macOS Big Sur features a major user interface redesign, support for iOS and iPadOS, and is designed to take advantage of Apple-designed and future mac. Its aesthetic has been described as “neumorphism”, a portmanteau of new and skeuomorphism. Apple also added a whole new battery usage section to System Preferences so you can see how your battery has drained over the last 24 hours or the last 10 days.
- Keep track of groups.
- Express yourself instantly.
- Drill down into the details.
- The updated Messages app for Mac gives you all the tools you need to stay in control of the conversation.
Features in macOS Big Sur
- macOS Big Sur features a major user interface redesign, and support for iOS and ipadOS apps, and it is designed to take advantage of Apple -designed ARM processors in future macs.
- The application icons were also redesigned to look more similar to those on iOS and iPadOS.
- Compared to iOS, Big Sur’s icons include more shading and highlights to give a three-dimensional appearance.
- All standard apps, as well as the Dock and the Menu Bar, were redesigned and streamlined.
- It makes it possible to unify third party apps with the existing Apple made as design language.
Design – macOS Big Sur introduces a refresh of the design of the user interface, described by Apple as the biggest change since the introduction of Mac OS X. The operating system introduced refinements to the interface such as translucency and a new color palette.
Control Center – An interface with quick toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth, screen brightness and system volume has been added to the menu bar. This interface is functionally and visually similar to Control center on iOS and iPadOS.
Notification Center – The Notification center was redesigned, featuring interactive notifications and a transparent user interface. Notification center also features a new widget system similar to that in iOS 14, displaying more information with more customization.
System – Designed process : macOS Big Sur marks the beginning of the transition of Apple’s Macintosh line of Personal computers. The chip mentioned in demo videos, and used in the Developer Transistion kit.
Support for iOS and iPadOS – On Macs based on Apple Silicon, macOS Big Sur will run iOS and iPadOS applications natively and without any modifications needed from developers.
Software Updates – Software updates can begin in the background before a restart, thus requiring less downtime to complete. Because system files are cryptographically signed, the update software can rely on them being in precise locations, thus permitting them to be effectively updated in place.
Spotlight – spotlight, the file system indexing and search mechanism first introduced in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, is more optimized for speed, and the interface has been refined. Additionally, Spotlight is now the default search mechanism in several applications including Safari, Pages, and Keynote.
About Maps in MacOS Big Sur
- “Look around” interactive street-level 360° panoramas, first implemented in the iOS 13 version of maps, have been incorporated into the macOS version of Maps.
- Availability of directions for cyclists.
- Electric Vehicle routing, based on proximity to charging stations and monitoring of Battery level (on selected car levels).
- Redesigned interface, consistent with the iOS and WatchOS versions, with round buttons and a black background.
The Message app was rewritten to be based upon Apple’s Catalyst technology. This enables the app to have feature parity with its iOS counterpart. Alongside a refined design, the messages app brings :
- Conversation pinning for up to nine conversations that sync across iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.
- Message Searching, Name and photo sharing, Group chat photo logos, Mentioning individuals, Replying inline.
- Memoji stickers and editor, A new photo picker, Localized message effects for users in India.
- Throughout the operating system, Apple has added more rounded and refined corners, full-height translucent sidebars for apps, and redesigned icons. Icons for Apple apps are all now rounded square-shapes, for a neater Dock, and buttons and controls for apps appear when needed and disappear when not needed to put more focus on content.
New Features in MacOS Big Sur
Refinements and new features of the Mac App Store include:
- A section dedicated to the privacy information of an app.
- A new Safari extensions category, New editing capabilities.
- Third party Notification Center widgets.
- Family sharing of app subscriptions.
- Collapsible pinned section.
- Quick text style and formatting options.
- Scanning enhancements.